Published on October 12, 2021, Updated on October 12, 2021
One of the most important elements of wearing Invisalign aligners is keeping them clean, which must be done on a regular basis. Even though the aligners must be discarded after a few weeks of usage, it is critical to keep them clean. As an alternative, you will be given a filthy and stinking set of aligners, which may have an effect on your therapy in the future.
If you do not properly care for your Invisalign aligners, you may end up with a buildup of bacteria that causes unpleasant odors, discoloration of the aligners, and even worries about the health of your teeth. These aligners, as well as your teeth, will need to be cleaned on a regular basis to ensure that you receive the finest treatment possible.
Suggested Cleaning Routine For Invisalign Trays
A typical day in the office for Invisalign treatment should look like this:
- Brush your teeth and clean your aligners as soon as you get up in the morning.
Unless otherwise stated, your aligners should be worn when sleeping. Because a large quantity of germs collects while you sleep, it is important to clean them before you get out of bed in the morning. First and foremost, cleaning your teeth is necessary to remove any germs that have been collected on them. Clean the trays and the rest of the device well before re-inserting it.
- Every day, soak the trays. To guarantee that the trays function correctly and efficiently, soak them in cleaning crystals or denture cleaners before using them. It is not recommended to immerse it in hot water since it may cause harm to the trays. Use a spare toothbrush to brush away any residual food particles that have collected after the bath.
- When you remove your aligners from your mouth, make sure you thoroughly rinse them.
Make sure you thoroughly rinse your invisible aligners after removing them from your mouth. As a result of utilizing this rinse, dried saliva is eliminated from the mouth. Put goods in a container to keep them from becoming brittle or contaminated with germs. Because higher temperatures might cause the trays to distort and bend out of shape, they should be washed with cold water.
- To avoid cavities, brush and clean your teeth before putting on the trays. When you eat or drink, you should make sure that these substances are eliminated from your body. Before replacing your toothbrush, make sure you properly clean and floss your teeth. Cleaning your teeth with teeth cleaning equipment can help you remove germs and food particles that have been trapped between your teeth and the rest of your mouth. If left untreated, they are likely to create cavities and other health issues for you.
Read Invisalign Attachments for Malocclusions
You Can Clean Your Invisalign Trays Using The Following
To make suds, use mild, unscented soap with warm water and gently swirl until suds develop. Allow it to soak in the solution for around 30 minutes. Before returning it to your mouth, brush it with a toothbrush and rinse it with water.
Baking Soda Solution
To create a uniform consistency, combine a tablespoon of baking soda and 1/2 cup of water in a mixing bowl. When the trays have been in the solution for 60 minutes, vigorously brush them until there is no more residue left on them. When you make baking soda, you get a chemical component called sodium bicarbonate. This chemical molecule is utilized as a cleaning and bleaching agent.
Vinegar and Water
For this solution, a one-part white distilled vinegar-to-three-parts-water ratio is recommended. Wait about 20 minutes before scrubbing it with water and rinsing it away. Rinse the plate well to remove any lingering vinegar flavor.
Soak the trays in a solution of equal parts hydrogen peroxide and water for about 30 minutes. Make sure the thing has been well washed and rinsed before placing it in your mouth.
Learn tips to prevent tooth decay
Quick and Efficient Cleaning with Retainer Cleaners
If you don’t want to or can’t prepare your own cleaning solution, you may buy retainer cleaners from your local store. When selecting retainer cleaners, it is essential to carefully read the label instructions since there are varieties that can be used in sonic cleaning machines and those that must be soaked overnight.
These cleansers come in the form of tablets or powder that must be dissolved in water before they can be used as a cleaning agent. Because there are germs and dental plaque on the teeth, it is an extremely effective cleaning solution to apply on them. The drawback is that it is more expensive than the solutions above.
- Levrini L, et al. (2015). Scanning electron microscopy analysis of the growth of dental plaque on the surfaces of removable orthodontic aligners after the use of different cleaning methods. DOI: 10.2147/CCIDE.S95814
- Tsolakis AΙ, Kakali L, Prevezanos P, Bitsanis I, Polyzois G. Use of Different Cleaning Methods for Removable Orthodontic Appliances: A Questionnaire Study. Oral Health Prev Dent. 2019;17(4):299-302. doi: 10.3290/j.ohpd.a42685. PMID: 31204392.